Troy Audio Achilles
The Achilles is our reinterpretation of a loudspeaker whose sound quality is not compromised by any size. We have incorporated the incredible 212 driver, developed several decades ago by Altec and now improved and manufactured by Great Plains Audio as the 212-8A, into a cabinet large enough to deliver an unprecedented quality of bass response.
Height: 1475mm (58”)
Width: 410mm (16”)
Depth: 500mm (20”)
Weight: 120 kg (265 lb)
But the Biggest Surprise
Is the Achilles’ midrange response, which has a naturalness that challenges the senses. Without colorations, it offers a realism that caresses the ears. Against all odds, the 212-A driver is capable of extending high frequencies to levels unprecedented for a coaxial horn. However, to achieve the highest harmonics, we decided to include a super tweeter with compression driver.
High-frequency soundwaves produced by the voice-coil and diaphragm assembly are guided into an exponential throat with an exit 1.4″ (36mm) in diameter, and delivered through a 90° horn. This exponential throat actually passes through the center of the front voice-coil. Low-frequency soundwaves are produced by a cone 12″ (305mm) in diameter attached to this high power voice-coil.
Mounted on a single die-cast frame, these two transducer elements work together to closely approach a virtual point-source of sound. The 212-8A is one of the best two-way drivers in the world, period.
Much of the engineering involved with the development of a bass-reflex cabinet of considerable proportions is to enhance that midrange response. The Achilles is handmade of Russian Baltic Birch without the use of a single screw. Stunning finishes are available in natural veneers or in high gloss colors.
Our designers worked hard to create the best crossover, and for this they used only Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold Oil coils and capacitors.
The Achilles embodies the idea of “less is more.” Its captivating and exuberant sound surpasses the perception of the physical space it occupies.
In Greek mythology, Achilles represents lightness and strength. We couldn’t have chosen a better name to describe the sound of this loudspeaker, which will take your breath away.
- Unique and balanced tone and musical character.
- Organic wood, organic sound.
- Handmade without industrial or automated processes.
- Designed with a great passion for sound reproduction.
- Designed with the idea of achieving maximum musical emotion.
- Creates music with a very wide soundstage without side or rear drivers.
- Impressive macro- and micro dynamics.
- 37mm-thick Russian Baltic Birch marine plywood with extensive internal bracing.
- Screwless wooden cabinet.
- Available in natural wood veneers; matte or high-gloss finishes.
- Customers can also custom-order a variety of other RAL colors and textures, from classic to avant-garde to automotive paint finishes.
- 12″ Full-range and high-frequency compression driver with custom horn in coaxial configuration.
- Horn super tweeter (alnico magnet).
- Custom crossover with premium Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold Oil capacitors.
- Sensitivity: greater than 100dB.
- Engineered and handcrafted in Mexico.